Monday, June 23, 2008

GA day #3

Today I sat in my committee all day. The hot issue was a change to the translation of the Heidelberg Catechism in several places but the hotly contested issue is question 87 in which one of the sins listed is "homosexual perversion." This phrase is NOT in the original German or Latin. There were references to several Scriptures made as a footnote and one refers to sodomy/homosexual perversion/sexual perversion (translated differently by different translations). The translators in 1962 decided to add in this phrase out of concern for the impact of the sexual revolution and the need to clarify what they though the Heidelberg writers intended. Several more conservative denominations, including ones that do not ordain women like the Christian Reformed Church have rejected this erroneous translation in favor of ones more true to the original document. However, the PCUSA Book of Confessions still has the 1962 translation.

However, it was clear from the beginning this morning that the more conservative groups view this as a battle in the war for full inclusion for gays and lesbians. There were a fairly even amount of speakers this morning in favor and against.

As the debate within the committee began this afternoon, I was greatly disturbed by the way the conservatives were talking and strategizing amongst themselves. And at one point, one of the primary leaders of the Presbyterian Coalition (the umbrella group for the conservative perspective) came in, sat in the front row right behind them and was advising them by nods of the head and subtle comments.

I feel so deeply saddened by the way they conducted themselves because they weren't listening. They knew what they were going to do before they came in. No matter how deeply held their convictions are, I would hope they could truly listen and consider the motion for what it is.

I have my own opinions on the motion (I think a new Heidelberg catechism translation SHOULD be used) but they really have nothing to do with my own view on the homosexual ordination issue. I have a complex view on full inclusion and feel it is much more nuanced issue than most make it. However, despite my own view, I was so saddened by what I saw from this group. It seemed they are interested in only their own voices and their own power.

However, I still hope that I can listen to them and to others and refuse to just draw up my own boundaries nice and tight and not let anyone else in. By God's grace and with God's help... Christ, have mercy on your church.

No comments: