Sunday, June 29, 2008

day #7 (fri)

Friday morning was interesting. The Assembly voted to remove the clause from ordination that requires candidates to be either chaste or married to someone of the opposite sex. This obviously clears a major hurdle towards the full inclusion of gays and lesbians into ordination in the PCUSA.

I think some people in our class were faster to grasp the significance of the decision than I was. I was wrapped up in what was ahead and getting out of there in time to get to Krista's wedding. But as I watched people's faces and listened to their reactions, I realized how deeply split the church this is. What might be a victory to some was a major defeat to others. Some faces were tense, many eyes shed tears. As I walked away, I realized that no matter what the decision, there is no real victory for anyone because some will leave. It is not that I don't think a decision had to be made... these things have to be dealt with and the church must decide after years of policies that are being questioned. It is just sad to see good, honest, God-seeking people be so divided.

Being at the 218th General Assembly was QUITE an experience and an education and it was also a great honor. I am excited about the many possibilities ahead but I left with deep sadness for the division and struggle the church will go through in the coming weeks and months.

No comments: