Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day #4 (tues)

Today I am happy to report that my committee passed the resolution to commend a study of the Belhar Confession to the PCUSA for inclusion in the Book of Confessions. This is exciting for many reasons. For one, the confession is a strong statement against racism. But possibly more exciting, it is written and emanates from the Global South. It is so exciting to think about this being included in the Book of Confessions. I am also hoping to do one of my courses next year on the Belhar Confessions at Clayton Valley. Wes Grandberg-Michaelson who is the head of the RCA gave me one of his copies of the RCA study guide so I am looking forward to using it in addition to the PCUSA one.

This is probably the first time I have been so immersed in such a political process. In some ways it is discouraging… can’t we just pray and decide? And I think there could be more of that in the meetings but I also appreciate deeply the way each person is given a voice.

No comments: