Sunday, June 22, 2008

GA day #2

It has been a full day. It's after midnight. I'm tired.

I'm starting to get my brain around what happens here at the GA. Issues are discussed and voted on in committees and in the larger assembly. Everything is done "decently and in order." As a new Presby, I am amazed by all the various ministries and opportunities within the PCUSA and encouraged by the breadth of outreach and engagement the church has. It is truly an amazing group of people with a rich history...

And looking ahead... tonight was a historic step as an emergent pastor was elected Moderator of the PCUSA. Bruce Reyes-Chow is a New Church Development pastor in San Francisco. I studied his church in a class two years ago and almost did an internship at his church next year so it has been really fun to see someone I know come into this. The moderator is the position which is the official face of the church. Bruce will be traveling extensively in the next 2 years... building bridges, stimulating vision and setting direction. What is exciting is he really is committed to the denomination while at the same time being his Bobo, emergent, postmodern, urban, non-traditional, family-man self. Gives me a lot of hope that I might fit into this denomination myself.

My brain is dead. Time for bed.

No comments: