Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the 1st of july

So it is now illegal to talk on your cellphone with it up to your ear in California. So far... no transgressions and I'm thankful for my Jawbone.

I had dinner with Rachel tonight. She leave tomorrow morning for her internship in Corvallis, OR. It just seems so hard to believe that all of us are going off to actually work and somewhat be pastors, chaplains, etc. Already, I have 5 Sundays to preach before the end of the year. Someday that won't be a big deal but right now I face them with excitement and a bit of terror as well.

What qualifies someone to be ready to do this kind of stuff? We've passed all our classes but who says we are now ready to get up and talk and lead???

I have to admit I'm ambivalent about it all. I think I'm caught b/t a few things. On one hand, I think really anyone can do this. Educated or not, we all have the capacity to give to another and whether it's on a large scale or small, anyone and everyone should be able to do this. ON the other hand, I've seen a lot of immaturity in my fellow seminarians and am well acquainted with it in myself. Do we really trust the church to people such as ourselves? But who else would do it? Someone that is circumspect, boring and super-human???? That is a problem in and of itself.

The good Reformed answer.... we trust the grace of God. Easily said and hard to do.

God be with all of us as we head out. May we see the fruit of all our study and may the new work produce good fruit in us... leading us deeper into the image of Christ.

1 comment:

rachel said...

thanks so much for dinner - for coming all the way to marin to see me off! i'm going to miss you SO much this coming year - we'll see how we all manage trying to be pastors! agh! keep up with the writing - you are so good at it.