Friday, July 11, 2008

Shalom and inclusive language

This morning Audra discovered the Hebrew word for peace/well-being/wholeness/fullness of life which is Shalom. She kept talking about it and goofing around and then asked her sister, "Emme, do you have shalom?"

Emme screwed her face up and said, "no"

And then I jokingly asked her, "do you feel peaceful?" (she nodded)

"do you feel whole?" (nodded again)

"are you at peace with your fellow man?"

She stopped and looked at me and said, "I don't think I have peace with my fellow MAN"

Ah yes... peace must extend beyond MEN if it is to be truly shalom.

Thanks for the reminder Emme. Our speech comes so quickly and easily sometimes. We have to make the effort to trip over our words in order to say what we truly want to say. And when it comes to God, we must especially trip over our words to remember there is a mystery and incomprehensible reality that will not be contained in our quick speech and gendered pronouns.

No comments: